ACO

For tinplate producers whose name is not included in the A-Z list above

ACO

Postby fredlub » 30 May 2017, 11:20

Some 1.5 year ago I bought an item advertised as: Kit Atelier du Château d'Eau 230 D NORD SNCF Coarse scale 12V Echelle 1/43.5. This kit was issued some 30 years ago by the French magazine La Vie du Rail and made by the French manufacturer ACO (Atelier du Château d'Eau). The ACO kits are between coarse and fine-scale and can be made for 2-rail and 3-rail. I made this kit for 3-rail such that I can run 3-rail AS, Darstaed TP or Elettren coaches with it. Here some pictures of the kit and the finished result:

This type of locomtive has run at the Nene Valley Railway (it is now returned to France); I wonder what type of coaches it pulled when running at the Nene Valley?

Regards
Fred
fredlub

Re: ACO

Postby Chris H » 30 May 2017, 12:37

Fred,

That 230D is very nice. Thanks for sharing. Regarding the coaches the original on the Nene Valley railway ran with - it was most often their ex Scandinavian ones, so of the larger European profile.

Regards
Chris H
Chris H

Postby fredlub » 30 May 2017, 15:48

Chris, Thank you,

And here is the first run of the ACO locomotive with a train of Darstaed Tinplate CIWL coaches:
https://youtu.be/Gj9EpkcSD38
Regards
Fred
fredlub

Postby steve_acp » 30 May 2017, 19:57

That looks great Fred, Nice job!

I noticed some of the machining of the wheels on the raw kit photos looked a little rough. Did you dress them somehow?

Steve
steve_acp

Postby Chris H » 30 May 2017, 20:08

Fred,

Are you aware of the coincidence regarding location of the Nene Valley Railway and the current location of the 230D that returned to France?

The NVR route runs through an area of Peterborough named "Orton Longueville". The 230D now resides in "Longueville" (France).

Separately I will send a PM regarding you recent Youtube film of "G" scale RhB trains. Obviously it is "Off Topic" for this forum.

Regards
Chris H
Chris H

Postby fredlub » 30 May 2017, 20:54

steve_acp wrote:That looks great Fred, Nice job!

I noticed some of the machining of the wheels on the raw kit photos looked a little rough. Did you dress them somehow?

Steve

Thank you Steve,

I used a needle file on the wheels; it was only some remains of the casting which I had to remove. No turning was necessary. And I brush-painted the wheels, next time (if there is) I'll try spray-painting.

Regards
Fred
fredlub

Return to Other brands